Every time you move to a new home, you try to learn from past mistakes: You’ll manage your time better, save more money and your belongings will avoid damage. But even the most …
Every time you move to a new home, you try to learn from past mistakes: You’ll manage your time better, save more money and your belongings will avoid damage.
But even the most experienced and well-organized people hit a few snags when it comes to packing. Ultimately there’s no perfect way to pack up and move, says Jonathan Sheil, director of agent development for real estate brokerage Spaces Real Estate in Chicago, who has himself moved five times in the last seven years.
“Sometimes the path of least resistance is to throw things into an SUV and have your friends and family help, and pay them in pizza and beer,” Sheil says. For his most recent move, however, Sheil opted to hire a full-service moving company to take care of the heavy lifting.
But if you’re going it alone, here are 12 packing tips to help make your move seamless:
- Declutter before packing.
- Box up your belongings before moving day.
- Use standard moving boxes for better stacking.
- Use specialized boxes to protect fragile belongings.
- Check electronics in front of movers.
- Pack and unpack boxes by room.
- Prepare for some rooms to take longer than others.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes.
- Don’t pack liquids that could leak.
- When possible, break down furniture.
- Protect everything.
- Tap professionals at any stage of the move.